Evangelical Church of Peace
Jawor / Poland
The Church of Peace under the invocation of the Holy Spirit was raised on the strength of the Peace of Westphalia Treaty, which marked the end of the Thirty Years’ War (1618-1648). In 1652, protestants from Jawor were given by Ferdinand III permission to raise the church.
The prerequisite was that it had to be raised beyond the city walls. The materials which could be used were only those with which a barn or pigsty could be built: wood and clay mixed with straw. The third condition stipulated by the emperor was that the church could have no belfry, which on the one hand made the church look like an ordinary barn, but on the other hand emphasized humility of the protestants, the subjects of the emperor. The church was raised in 1654-1655, Today this is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.