Waldensian Temple

Bergamo / Italy

Waldensian temple Bergamo
  • Church

In the center of the Lower Town of Bergamo, in viale Roma 2a, opposite the Bank of Italy, the community thus has a place for the Protestant worship and its activities, which was then the second in Lombardy after Milan. Bergamo is a symbolic place for the Waldensian community. In 1218, a letter (called “Rescriptum”) was written by the Lombard Poor and sent with two couriers to the other communities living in Austria or Germany. It represents an attempt for reconciliation and union between the two separate branches of valdism in Bergamo.

In the center of the façade, the building has terracotta, the entrance portal and two side windows with round arches, with a large rose window in the upper part. The interior has a single nave, with two parallel rows of benches. At the end of the nave, on the left, there is a stone and wood pulpit, while on the right there is a valuable marble baptismal font. In the apse there is a stone and wood table, while on the back wall of the apse three polychrome stained-glass windows represent the apostle Paul, the resurrected Jesus Christ and the evangelist John.

Waldensian Temple
Bergamo

Additional touristic information

Information

Short Info

It is the place of worship of the Evangelical Christian Community of Bergamo.

Geography

It is located in the center of Lower Bergamo, in viale Roma 2B. Bergamo, a city of about 120,000 inhabitants, capital of the homonymous Lombard province, is divided into two distinct parts: the «Lower Town» and the «Upper Town». The latter is placed at a higher altitude and hosts the majority of the most significant monuments. The “Lower City” is instead the most modern and urbanized part. The two portions of the town are separated by the Venetian walls, counted since 2017 among the UNESCO World Heritage sites. As well as on foot and by bus number 1, the easiest way to get to Upper Cityis with the funicular, active since 1887.

Sights

The Temple is located on Viale Roma, the main street of Lower Bergamo, which from the train station heads towards Upper town. From the Temple you can enjoy a splendid view of the walls of the Upper Town and, in particular, of San Giacomo Gate.

Events

In addition to the Sunday worship at 10.30 am, it is possible to consult the calendar of events on the website: www.protestanti.bergamo.it

Accessibility

Road Transport

Exit Bergamo of the A4 Turin-Venice motorway. Upper City is a limited traffic area. There is an area equipped for campers www.areacamperbergamo.it

Train

The Bergamo train station is well connected to the railway stations of Milan and Brescia.

Bus Transport

Regular motorway connections with Milan.

Airport

The Bergamo-Orio al Serio airport is connected with more than one hundred destinations and is the third largest airport in Italy in terms of number of passengers. It is located about 5 km from the city. In addition to taxis, there are regular public bus connections (ATB).

Our heritage

Historic Buildings

The Temple of the Evangelical Community of Bergamo, designed by the Arch. Giacomo Frizzoni, was inaugurated on 30 April 1876. The Reformed Community of Bergamo was founded sixty-nine years earlier, in 1807, by a group of Swiss Protestant merchants and entrepreneurs. Until then the cults and assemblies had taken place in a room of the not distant Via Borfuro.

Natural Attractions

Bergamo is surrounded by the greenery of the 4,700 hectares of Parco dei Colli, to be explored on foot or by bicycle through the numerous and suggestive paths. Inside the Parco dei Colli is a monastic complex of Vallombrosian origin, founded in the 11th century.

Availability

In addition to the opening times for the cults, it is possible to visit the Temple by agreeing with the pastor or by making contact with the Protestant Cultural Center. Contact details on the website www.protestanti.bergamo.it.


All sights in this country