Reformed Church of Ajak


Church of Ajak
  • Church

The town of Ajak can be found in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county 42 km to north-west of Nyíregyháza and to the south of Kisvárda. This agricultural town is one of the oldest settlements in the county which was given town status on 15th July 2013.

Its oldest architectural monument is the Reformed Church which, originally, used to be a Roman Catholic church. It was built in the 13th and 14th centuries in Roman style. The church, consecrated to Saint Nicholas, and its priest, called Benedek, were mentioned in the Pope’s tithes register of 1332-35. Although the church was reconstructed in the 15th century, the chancel with its two windows was preserved. The naval was built around that time with a round window on the facade and three splayed windows on the southern side. The buttresses holding the corners of the church were probably built that time, too. In 1861, at the end of the Turkish reign, the roof structure got seriously destroyed, but parts of the walls and vaulting remained and later reparation to the roof was done. At the beginning of the 17th century, a significant part of Szabolcs County (formerly called ‘Vármegye’) became protestant and around this time the church was taken over by reformed churchgoers.

All sights in this country